When you are using the right engine oil, you reap more benefits than you normally think. Making sure that you have the right engine oil optimizes your engine’s performance and saves you in terms of costs. Today, we are giving you 8 of the best oil for 7 3 Powerstroke engines available in the market.
Not only that, but we will also be giving you valuable information about the things you need to look for when shopping for oil for your Powerstroke engines. This would help you narrow down your choices and figure out what brand works for you.
Let’s get started!
8 Best Oil for 7.3 Powerstroke Reviews
To ensure your engine runs as smoothly as when you first got it, you need the right kind of engine oil. Here are 8 of the best there.
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
- Full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, oil breakdown, and improves low-temperature flow
- Exceptional wear protection for longer life in a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications — from pickup trucks to tractors to semi rigs
- Enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5 percent without compromising engine protection or durability (compared to 15W-40 oils)
- Multi-functional dispersant additives provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants (compared to previous formulation)
- Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
Before anything else, we would like to emphasize that this is one of the most expensive brands out there.
But this should not stop you. Despite its higher price tag, you are getting more value than you think.
We think this is one of the best diesel oil for power stroke in the market today. And while we mentioned that this is one of the priciest around, the oil promises to improve your fuel economy by about 1.5%. This is perhaps the main reason why, despite its price, this is always sold out.
Unlike other ordinary diesel engine oils, this brand’s chemical formula allows your engine to tolerate high-pressure environments.
Aside from that, it is also known to be able to protect your 7.3 Powerstroke engines in any condition.
It’s manufactured with dispersant additives that help you in reducing the negative effects of dust and dirt.
Also, it can control dirt deposits. This ensures that your engine is always lubricated; hence, you maximize its performance.
The oil is attuned even with the most updated diesel emissions systems. It also has a low-ash formula that rids your engine of intoxication and obstructions. As such, you are ensured that you make efficient use of your diesel engine oil at all times.
- Low-ash formula
- Can tolerate high-pressure environments
- Made with dispersant additives
- Ideal for hot regions
Archoil AR9100 Oil Additive
- 16oz AR9100 Friction Modifier - treats one Power Stroke
- Fixes 6.0L and 7.3L Power Stroke cold start injector problems
- Reduces wear and extends component life
- Reduces engine noise, vibration and heat
- For all diesel and gasoline engines, gearboxes, hydraulics, differentials and power steering systems
This entry is an oil additive that is ideal for both diesel and gasoline engines.
What we love about this is that it addresses the cold start problems of your Powerstroke engines. Over time, this would be able to save you lots of bucks! Plus, we’ve noticed that the engine is much quieter this time.
With other oil additives, there seems to be a lot of engine noise, much friction, and a great deal of vibration intensity. This brand is amazing in that aspect because you only hear a quiet whirring of the valve train and the belts. Well, you would hear the injectors ticking, but that’s all there is to it. Know what we mean?
This is treated with zinc. So what? Well, zinc helps out in minimizing the wear and tear of your engine parts. Aside from that, it helps your engine in reducing oil consumption.
It optimizes hydraulic performance as well. Not only that but your steering wheel and gearbox will also thank you for this engine oil additive.
Your purchase of this 16 oz oil additive could go a long, long way.
By the way, this does not work well in hot regions.
- Treated with zinc
- Reduces oil consumption
- Improves performance of hydraulics
- Creates less engine noise
Schaeffer Manufacturing Co. 9000-05 Synthetic Engine Oil
- Improves engine durability without affecting fuel economy
- Keeps engines cleaner: minimal sludge, soot and carbon buildup
- Strong protection against wear, scuffing and abrasion – blended with friction modifiers
- Resists thinning at high temperatures
- Quickly lubricates in colder temperatures
If you are on the lookout for something that’s on top of the class, look no further than the best oil for high mileage 7.3 Powerstroke engine in the market.
Efficient to the last drop, this brand is great for its lubricating powers. From your engine’s internal components to the other parts, this oil is set to decrease friction for a smoother run.
Not only that, but it also reduces deposits, resulting in your engine’s longer lifespan as a whole.
If what you are looking for is an oil that would enhance your engine’s longevity, this is the engine oil for you.
The oil is made of a friction-modifying formula like the Micron Moly and Penetro. It minimizes the rubbing between your engine’s parts and therefore betters its overall productivity.
Whether you are using this in winter or summer, you wouldn’t have any issues at all.
The one thing we think you should know, though, is that this is a bit pricier than the others. But if you don’t mind paying extra for some great-quality oil, this is the best option there is.
- It can work at any temperature.
- Great lubricating properties
- Friction-modifying formulae like Micron Moly and Penetro
- Enhances the engine’s durability
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme SAE 5W-40
- “The Only One“ endorsed and recommended by Cummins
- Superior synthetic base stocks provide faster, safe starts during freezing weather and enhanced thermal properties for hot weather operations
- Outstanding oxidation resistance supports long oil life in heavy duty engines
- Superior wear protection for hardworking heavy-duty trucks and equipment
We love this engine oil because this gives you fast and safe starts even in the coldest of weather. And we know how much of a hassle it is to start engines, especially in freezing temperatures.
If you are one of those that has this issue, this oil is one of the best choices you can choose from.
Not only that, but this oil is also formulated with amazing thermal properties, which makes this ideal for hot weather conditions as well.
The oil is known to protect your engine from oxidation. Aside from that, this oil gives you better fuel economy as compared to other brands in the market.
Further tests have proven that the oil can also extend valve train life. Such tests have also shown that a 7.3 Powerstroke engine tends to consume less of this kind of oil.
And finally, it rids you of deposits, which ensures a smooth-running engine all throughout.
Some consumers, however, complained that the oil is a bit pricier than other brands. But this is a minor concern for such a high-quality oil.
- Great for any weather conditions
- Rids your engine of deposits
- Protects your engine from oxidation
- Extends valve life
Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
- Conventional 15W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection technology protects against wear, deposits, and oil breakdown
- Formulated with advanced additive technology for enhanced deposit control and superior engine cleanliness throughout the oil drain interval
- Enhanced protection against oil oxidation for more efficient operation
- Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
- Wear control helps keep moving metal engine surfaces apart for a longer life
First of all, let us all be clear that this is a nice enough upgrade to the original Rotella T4. The T4 didn’t really need improvement if you ask us.
This version, however, amplifies the Triple Protection Technology that addresses the ever-changing landscape of driving. It also answers concerns related to modern low-emission and outdated diesel engines.
The original formulation is known for its capacity to protect your engine from deposits, emission systems, and the usual wear and tear.
These very same features are still in this upgraded formulation, except that this time around, the wear protection is doubled. Such an increase in protection exceeds CK-4 requirements set by API.
What is amazing about this brand is that it has an increased resistance to oxidation, the increase of which amounts to about 50%. Such an increase can give you better mileage and efficient engine operation.
- Approved by API
- Extends engine life
- Higher shear stability performance resulting in an improved viscosity control
- Protects engines from deposits and sludge
Liqui Moly 2041 Premium 5W-40 Oil
- The Lubro-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 Motor Oil is a fully synthetic and energy conserving motor oil for the latest engine concepts (both gas and diesel), such as multi-valve arrangements, variable cam and timing configurations, turbocharging, supercharging, intercooling, etc.
- The Lubro-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 Motor Oil saves fuel and provides instant lubrication after a cold start.
- Good for extended oil change intervals and the highest demands
- Package Dimensions: 10.312 L x 31.496 H x 24.892 W (centimeters)
If you have been spending so much time with maintenance in the past, you no longer need to with this engine oil. This is primarily because of this oil’s lubricating and protective features.
About its lubricating capacity, the oil is great at greasing different parts of the engine. Such a manner of lubrication ensures that the components of the engine do not rub together. This results in lesser wear and tear on the machine.
Also, the oil helps your engine get rid of dust, debris, and dirt. This makes sure that your engine is able to function as smoothly as possible.
One of the things we like about this engine oil is its viscosity features. It ensures that the oil movement all throughout is smooth.
And while other oil’s performances fluctuate depending on weather and temperature, you would never expect that from this brand.
The brand had been proven to work well in extreme temperatures, no matter how high or low. This ensures that no matter the weather condition, you get the optimum performance of your engine.
- Works in extreme temperatures
- Minimizes engine wear and tear
- Rids your engines of dust, dirt, and debris
- Great lubricating powers
Lucas Oil Synthetic Oil
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
If you are into racing or simply going on long rides, you would need engine oil that is able to assist your engine with all the stress and strain.
Long rides can strain your engine, and an overworked engine needs all the assistance it can get. This engine oil provides that much-needed assistance.
One of the many benefits of using this oil is its capacity to enhance your engine’s durability. This oil’s lubricating capacity makes it easier for your engine to run as smoothly as possible. Not only that, but it also produces lesser noise as compared to other engine oils.
We’ve also noticed that engines tend to consume a lesser amount of this oil without jeopardizing performance.
This makes sure that you are able to use the oil for far longer than usual. You no longer need to open a new gallon of oil every once in a while – saving you lots of cash.
- An increase in gas mileage
- Results in an improved engine performance
- Amazing lubricating capacity for engine durability
Archoil AR9100 Friction Modifier
- 2 x 16oz AR9100 Friction Modifier - Treat two PowerStrokes
- Fixes 6.0 and 7.3L PowerStroke cold start injector problems
- For gasoline and diesel engines, gearboxes, hydraulics, differentials and power steering systems.
- Reduces wear and extends component life
- Reduces engine noise, vibration and friction heat
Made primarily for diesel engines, this brand brings with it a wide array of benefits.
Firstly, this oil produces some of the least engine noises ever. We’ve also noted that the engine vibration and friction have largely decreased with this oil. The brand is known to work well with 6.0 as well as 7.3 Powerstroke engines.
And one of the major benefits it brings is that it can address cold start injector problems. You know how sometimes we go ahead and have the engine fixed or sent for maintenance when all it needs is just a change of oil? It can potentially save you lots of cash.
The brand can also help your engine reduce its wear and tear. It is known to enhance the durability of the engine’s other components. This is primarily due to the oil having lesser zinc as compared to other brands.
Overall, this is the kind of engine oil that can give you an optimized performance – from your engine to your gearboxes, your power steering, and even hydraulics.
- Noise reduction
- Great for diesel engines
- Hydraulic improvements
- Lesser zinc component
What to Look for While Buying Oil for 7.3 Powerstroke Engines
Now that you already have the best of the best in the market, which one of the 8 will you choose? To help you narrow down your choices, we’ve come up with a guide.
Fully Synthetic/ Synthetic Blend
Before anything else, let us give you a quick summary of what these are. Fully synthetic oil is a pure formula. It is not mixed with anything. On the other hand, a synthetic blend is mixed with other oils.
If it’s a battle between fully synthetic and synthetic blends, we will side with the fully synthetic oils.
Attention to Details
Admit it; we don’t always read the labels. It could be any product – oil, perfume, noodles, whatever – we find very few consumers reading the labels.
Most oils are engineered to be compatible with both diesel and gasoline engines. Yes, this is true, but not all the time, which brings us to what we were saying earlier.
Read the labels. Make sure that the oil that you got in your hands is suited for the type of engine you have at home.
Depending on the fluctuating temperatures and differing weather conditions, some oils may thicken or become thin. With this in mind, how do you choose the oil that’s right for you?
This is pretty easy. All you have to do is to check on the SAE weight of your oil. The weight is always written as NW-NN. N corresponds to a number, while W is for winter.
All you have to remember is that the lower the number beside W, the better equipped the oil is for freezing temperatures. The two other numbers tell you how well the oil performs when temperatures start to rise.
What you will be looking for is a higher number. The higher the number, the better equipped the oil is in warmer climates.
Top Brands on the Market
Most manufacturers would tell you how much of a treasure their engine oil is. We understand this can be overwhelming and confusing, especially if this is your first purchase.
But like in any product, some brands excel at making them better than others. When it comes to 7.3 Powerstroke oil, you got to trust it when what you have is from Liqui Moly. You can also never go wrong with Schaeffer or Valvoline.
But while pricier than the others, Shell is the ultimate brand when it comes to oils. Nothing beats that brand!
Frequently Asked Questions
We know some things are still unclear. And so, we took the time to answer some of your questions.
What are the benefits of oil additives?
Oil additives have two main benefits. One is to make sure your engine is protected from rust and corrosion. The other benefit is that it results in an efficient function of your engines.
How often do I need to change oil additives?
They go hand in hand. The additives mix with the oil. When changing your oil, change your additives as well.
How often should you change engine oil in a 7.3 diesel?
High-quality oil should be changed every 5,000 miles. If it’s an ordinary oil, expect to change it more frequently than when you use high-quality oils.
How long will a Powerstroke diesel engine last?
When well-maintained, it should last you for about 300-350k. Some lucky ones would be able to reach about 500k.
How much oil does a 7.3 diesel consume?
The crankcase/oil pan part should be able to handle about 13 quarts. Your oil filter would be able to hold about 2 quarts.
In total, its capacity is about 15 quarts.
Now that you know the best brands in the market, you may have already narrowed down your choices. We hope that through this guide, we are able to help you find the best oil for 7.3 Powerstroke engines.